Doctor of Ministry
Doctor of Ministry
Focus on Christ, Further your Ministry
Gain tangible strategies to meet the biblical needs of the people in your ministry setting with Baptist Bible Seminary’s Doctor of Ministry degree. You will maximize your effectiveness in ministry by developing a thorough biblical philosophy that is immediately applicable.
Adaptive and Practical
You will earn an advanced professional education program focused on practical aspects of leadership in global ministry, para-church and counseling ministries, all built on a strong theological foundation.
Select Your Ministry Track
Depending on your background and previous theological education, the program may require either 30 or 24 credit hours. Choose one of three concentrations to customize your education for your unique ministry needs.
You want to engage in a verse-by-verse expositional study of God’s Word. Investigate the meaning, authorial intent, original purpose and significance of these divine books for a contemporary audience in this concentration. Your understanding not only impacts God’s Church; it will also impact your personal life. Strengthen your exposition of the books of the Bible as they tell God’s story.
You are pursuing and preparing for a non-pastoral ministry role in the church or parachurch organization. Develop and hone your skills to excel in ministry with this biblically based concentration. You will be equipped to motivate and develop lay leaders in the church, to evaluate current theological issues confronting today’s culture and to disciple leaders and members of God’s church.
You will address the theoretical, conceptual and practical elements of pastoral leadership. In addition to further developing your philosophical basis for ministry, you will deepen your discipling skills in order to grow other leaders. Your goals, vision and strategies will be evaluated and sharpened for full effectiveness in your ministry.
Depending on your background and previous theological education, the program will require either 30 credit hours or 24 credit hours (entering with Th.M).
Complete this non-residential program in one-week modules backed by twelve weeks of additional online study wherever it is most convenient for you. You can choose to complete your one-week module for each course either remotely or on campus at BBS. Select classes are available completely online. This flexibility allows you to further your ministry while you pursue the degree that can enhance your ministry.
The program is expected to be completed in six years.
30 or 24 (with a Th.M.) Credit Hours
All courses are three credits unless noted otherwise.
Core Courses (required)
- D501 Developing Effective Leadership Skills (MP1)
- D502 Current Trends in Global Ministry (MP3)
- D503 The Centrality of the Scriptures in Ministry (MP2)
Theological and Bible (electives)
- D801 Understanding the Middle East Mind in Bible Times
- D803 Prophetic Themes that Impact the Church Today
- D805 Contemporary Christian Issues from the Corinthian Church
- D806 Contemporary Theological Issues & Movements
- D807 Utilizing the Song of Songs in Ministry & Counseling
Biblical Exposition (electives)
- D871 Analysis of Old Testament Books
- D872 Analysis of New Testament Books
- D873 Exposition of OT Narrative Literature
- D874 Exposition of the Gospels
- D875 Exposition of Wisdom Literature
- D876 Exposition of Pauline Literature
- D877 Exposition of the Prophets
- D878 Exposition of Non-Pauline Literature
- D821 Disciple Making for Godly Leadership in the Church
- D822 Strategic Planning & Goal Setting in Ministry
- D825 Overseeing the Church’s Worship Ministry
- D827 Developing a Biblical & Balanced Counseling Ministry
- D828 How to Develop & Utilize Mentoring & Discipling Skills
- D829 Contemporary Expository Communication: Mastering the Issues of Passion, Clarity & Relevance
- D830 Expository Communication that Teaches the Scriptures
- D832 Advanced Seminar in Biblical Counseling
- D839 Preaching That Motivates & Moves Men to Minister (Pastoral Track only)
- D847 Developing Leadership within the Organization
Spiritual Development (electives)
- D843 Personal Spiritual Development from the Psalms
- D851 Biblical Spirituality for the Ministry LeaderMissions & Outreach
- D861 Effective Church Outreach
- D862 Shaping a Ministry to World Cultures
- D864 Mobilizing a Church to Reach its Community Independent Study
- D890 Independent Study – 3 credits
- D892 Independent Study – 6 credits
- D893 Independent Study – 9 credits
- D901 Dissertation Reading & Proposal – 2 credits
- D902 Dissertation Reading & Research – 2 credits
- D903 Dissertation Reading, Writing & Defense – 2 credits
January 15, 2024
May 13, 2024
August 19, 2024
Sharpen your skills. Reach your goals.
The seminary faculty, who clearly love the Lord above all else, are clearly strong in their particular discipline, but they also clearly emphasize the practical aspects of their discipline.
- Your dissertation is designed with the purpose and nature of your specific ministry in mind. Your program director will work with you to develop your project. To view the unique types of D.Min. dissertation projects, visit our catalog.
- Courses are crafted to meet unique challenges in ministry and will challenge you to bring your experience to the table and to take your ministry to the next level.
- Take advantage of on-campus living or accommodations in the nearby region.
You’ll learn under faculty members who are passionate about helping you prepare theologically with an effective ministry mindset. These professors not only bring a high level of scholarship and the highest academic credentials; each one also has significant experience in churches and ministry settings. You will gain tangible strategies to correctly handle the Word of God, think critically and use discernment in your ministry.
Join Our Community
Mentorship and community are hallmarks of a BBS education, and you’ll experience that culture in both our online, web-enhanced, on-campus and module courses. Expect to find the support, encouragement and advice you need to reach your goals.