Home » Clarks Summit University Celebrates 85th Commencement

Clarks Summit University Celebrates 85th Commencement

Published May 6, 2017

Clarks Summit University celebrated the graduating class of 2017 with a Commencement ceremony on the morning of Saturday, May 6. This year marks the university’s 85th Commencement.

244 graduates were awarded degrees, including 154 with undergraduate degrees, 54 with master’s degrees and 36 with a master’s or doctoral degree from Baptist Bible Seminary.

Dedicated Mentor as Keynote Speaker

“What a celebration of our students’ diligence and persistence,” describes Dr. Jim Lytle, university president, who gave the opening remarks and conferred degrees. “This year’s celebration was even more effective because Dr. Dennis Wilhite, already loved by the students as a mentor, capped off his career at the university with a well-balanced Commencement address.

Long-time faculty member, professor in the School of Theology and keynote speaker, Wilhite will retire later this month. He gave the keynote address, entitled, “Who in the world do you think you are,” based on I Peter 2:9, “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”

“Who you are today, as you walk into this transition, has little to do with the things we have postured ourselves to have in this area of life. It has everything to do with who God is,” Wilhite encouraged.

Lytle continues, “He really knows how to move people from knowledge to action, and it was fitting for him to address the crowd.”

Unique Ceremony Features

Dr. Kezia Curry is member of the university’s board of trustees and president and CEO of Global Kaleidoscope, LLC-Educational Consulting. She performed the vocal solo “Forever,” popularized by Kari Jobe. Dr. Elaine Brown of the School of Arts and Sciences read from I Peter 2:9-12, and Dr. Lynelle Buchanan of the School of Theology gave the prayer of dedication. Dr. William Higley, vice president for academics, presented the candidates for graduation.

Graduating students were asked to address the audience. Kirsten Weber of Amherst, New Hampshire, earned her Bachelor of Science in Education. She said, “Through my time here, God has taught me to walk by faith through every challenge.” She aims to reach kids for Christ as a teacher and challenged fellow graduates, “If God gives you an opportunity, use it…The adventure awaits.”

Zachary Thompson of Alden, New York, another Bachelor of Science in Education graduate addressed the audience about his four years at CSU, which have included playing Defender basketball, serving in residence hall leadership and traveling on the ministry team RiSE. He completed his student-teaching experience in Honduras and worked on campus doing maintenance, admitting even cleaning the bathrooms turned into a discipleship experience. “I found myself able to seek out godly mentors in every area I have passions for…Every area of involvement turned into a mentoring relationship with an older, wiser staff mentor or student…Every part of the CSU community has the undertone of honoring God, which is the most valuable lesson I could have learned here.”

Melonie Eastham of Fairplay, Colorado, graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Master of Arts in Literature. “Through the time I’ve spent in my studies at Clarks Summit University it’s been very tremendously confirmed to me that ultimately what each of us must discover in our personal journey must be inscribed in our hearts, by the Spirit of God. He’s the author and finisher of our faith…our God is sufficient for the day…He’s the answer to all our questions, and He is our promised land.”

Juan Fernando Moncayo of Quito, Ecuador, addressed the audience as a Master of Divinity graduate. After being asked to serve as the pastor of a church plant, he realized, “It was key for me to get further equipped for ministry and such a lofty call. Seminary has been a huge blessing, not only because I’m leaving now with a deeper well of knowledge, information and tools for ministry, but also because God used seminary to form my character…to make me dependent on His strength. One of the coolest things is that I was able to do it in my home country of Equador. A lot of seminary programs I looked into didn’t allow me to do that; I needed to be pulled out from my culture and pulled out from my church family. I’m just really grateful for the education I’ve got here.”

Timothy Valiante of Millville, Pennsylvania, graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Doctor of Ministry. “I’m thankful for the men who have invested in my life over the course of this degree. I’m very grateful for instructors that have constantly challenged me to accurately and carefully handle the text of Scripture…Specifically my study in James 4, which was the topic of my dissertation, the grace of God, has produced lasting change in my life, my family and as well as my church.”

Surrounding Celebrations

Events surrounding Commencement included a reception for graduates and their families, the Seminary Wives Celebration and online student graduates’ luncheon.

Higley adds, “We celebrate what God has done in the lives of our graduates to get them to this point, and we anticipate the future of how God is going to use our graduates for His eternal purposes in the world they are entering.”

SearchCategories
Archives Related Posts
Left Menu Icon