Home » February Internship Report – Ryan and Nicole Myhre (Ryleah and Alayna)

February Internship Report – Ryan and Nicole Myhre (Ryleah and Alayna)

Published February 14, 2017

Southside Baptist Church, Sebring, Florida

Ryan

Ministry Highlights

The community was asked to join a local body of believers in a deliberate journey of 21 days (January 9th – 29th) committed to prayer and fasting. It is the prayer that each involved will have a powerful and personal encounter with God. The belief is that when God’s people truly Abide in Him, that He is sure to produce much fruit in our lives, our churches, and our community. As we prayed and sought God’s face together, the hope was that this 21-day journey of prayer and fasting not be just a destination, but the beginning of a deeper, more sincere walk with our Lord Jesus Christ. Each day had a devotional attached to it and as youth pastors we used Facebook “Live” to record and share our devotions with our students and youth groups. The discipline of fasting and prayer has been a blessing.

Thankful for the godly men that the Lord has put in my life. I was visited by my first senior pastor who helped in leading me to the Lord as well as spent a lot of time investing in me and was instrumental in my early development and growth as a baby believer. He modeled intentional discipleship and remains a great friend and mentor today. He is a great example to follow.

Had a couple visit from our previous church and had a great night catching up and sharing what the Lord has been doing in our families. A sweet time of fellowship.

Ability to pray after tennis practice with 4 students on a regular basis. In addition, one of the members of the team started to attend our youth group on Wednesday nights.

The opportunity to preach the Word at both the AM and PM service on January 29th. Covered “Now is not Forever” (1 Cor 13:8-13) and “Responding Well” (Jonah 4).

Attended a Servant Keeper conference in Orlando with Pastor Altman as we look to be more intentional in our communication with guests and members.

A great visit and time that Nicole and I were able to spend with Dr. Pyne and Debbie!

Key Prayer Requests

Please pray for two young ladies that we were able to counsel, as they battle with the deception of Satan’s lies and the distraction of sin. We are all in a spiritual battle, but we are burdened to pray for these young ladies who are in the midst of current struggles. Pray for courage, comfort, grace, and a return to the Lord.

Pray for a young man on the tennis team who has recently started to come to youth group. We are praying that the Word finds a place in his heart and that the Lord will lead him to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. It is so awesome to see the Lord at work!

Praising the Lord as we continue to do the paperwork and little things as we prepare for the closing on our house February 10th. (House closing was successful!)

Praying for the spiritual growth of our youth group as we are trying to be more intentional in our time/communication with them through small groups. We’ve had 5 new kids start attending!

Prominent Lessons

This past month Nicole and I had the opportunity to counsel in two different, but serious situations. While a blessing that people feel comfortable to come to us (as we are still relatively new here) the weight and seriousness of the issues involved is not something we take lightly. In the Scriptures God speaks of the importance of hope. Jay Adams wrote, “…the Christian must recognize that support offered instead of direction from the Word of God represents Christ as a helpless Savior who has no better solutions than the counselee to life’s problems.” As we approached these situations, our focus was on offering a biblical hope, through biblical faith, with biblical responses. In both cases, I was thankful that the Lord gave us both the words and Scripture verses that help us direct the conversations towards the problem rather than toward the person. It is our prayer that the Lord uses His Word in the hearts of those involved to turn them back to Him through conviction and hope. What we learned from this most recent exchange is that it is a blessing that we are able to be called and to minister to people who are struggling, together. In addition, we realized afresh that through the power of the Word and direction of the Spirit, we should expectantly pray for change. Through some previous training and reflection, I was reminded that each and every counseling session should lead toward some biblical action as a natural outcome and that we must put forth the challenge to perform as God’s Word requires. I know that I cannot change anyone, but we know the One who can. After giving some homework and prayer, we now expectantly wait to see God at work in the lives of these people.

We began the first day of the boy’s tennis season this week and I’m grateful for the opportunity to invest in the lives of these 9 young men. While I’ve been able to interact with them over the past couple of months during preseason conditioning, I took our first official practice together to explain both my passion for Christ and tennis (in that order). I also invited each member of the team to join me after practice for a time of devotions and prayer (thankful we can do this in our school and I advised that participation or nonparticipation would have nothing to do with playing time/favoritism). The first day I had 4 guys stay! With a diverse team composed of a couple Hindu Indians, I’m blessed to have the opportunity to speak of my personal relationship with Christ. After the short time together, one of the fathers approached me and started up a conversation. We’ve spoken on occasion before, but he asked me if I had invited his son to church yet, I advised that I had not as I didn’t want to pressure anyone. He said that his son already really looks up to me and that although they had been a part of the Catholic faith that he knew his son would come to our youth group if I asked. Sensing an open door (yes, I’m quick) I proceeded to ask him to join our youth group event on Wednesday evening. In addition, I had my daughter invite him the next day. We prayed that he would take the next step and on Wednesday he came and connected with some of the other young men at our church. I’ve been praying that the Lord would use my connection with the team and the High School for Him and His glory and within the span of the first 3 days, one of my team members heard the gospel from me! I stand amazed at the Father’s goodness. We are continuing to pray that both he and his dad attend our men’s simulcast and gain more exposure and yielding to the power and love of a relationship with Christ.

Key Goals for the Next Month

A fruitful Men’s Simulcast event on the “Battle Ready” theme as we look to build and invest in the lives of men.

A time of fellowship and encouragement as we host a youth Super Bowl party.

The youth group is serving a spaghetti dinner for the church to raise money for camp this summer. Praying the Lord uses this time to connect the generations of our church as well as preparing the hearts of our youth to attend Bible camp.

Youth group will be responsible to plan and participate in the Wednesday evening service during our upcoming missions conference. Praying the Lord helps them discover their gifting as well as realizing their importance to the body of Christ.

Being an example of Christ in my coaching responsibilities.

Nicole

Ministry Highlights

Ryan and I enjoyed a sweet season of prayer with Pastor Altman and Teresa.

We were able to make 9 special “visits” to our homebound members this month, what an amazing time for us, and prayerfully them.

Ryleah and Alayna were able to share their talents of music at church this month. Thankful they are willing and able to serve!

Started leading small group Bible study with the younger girls in youth group.

Enjoyed a great time of encouragement and fellowship with Dr. Pyne and Debbie.

Opportunity to counsel and minister to a college aged student who is struggling with emotional and physical scars.

Key Prayer Requests

Continued wisdom and energy for my responsibilities at the hospital.

Time management to see those who are ill in the church and to be an encouragement to them and the homebound members.

Continuing to build on my own personal prayer life.

A praise to the Lord for a closing on the sale of our home in Fargo on February 10th! (Closing on the house was successful!)

Prominent Lessons

I have grown closer to the Lord resting in His faithfulness. He continues to show us what direction He has for us and continues to provide for us in all ways. His faithfulness humbles me daily. In addition, the Lord has put a particular burden on my heart/mind for prayer within the past month for a number of different people both close and many miles away. Reaching out I’ve found their appreciation and need for it. What a blessing to have others be confident in my position to pray for them, counsel, support, and direct them to God’s Word.

Key Goals

Expand on my intentional prayer time for others.

Seek out that person who needs encouragement.

Being bold inviting more/others to church.

SearchCategories
Archives Related Posts
Left Menu Icon