Home » Godly Influences Overcome Failure

Godly Influences Overcome Failure

Published February 8, 2017 

by Ulysses Tobias “Toby” Monday (’15)

Have you ever failed at something in life?

That’s where I found myself several years ago. I struggled miserably being out of my comfort zone as I started college. I was away from home and excited to be on my own.

Then I failed my first year of college, and I faced the disappointment of having to go home and tell my parents.

The day that I shared the news with my dad, he told me something I will never forget.

“Son, everything is going to be all right. You may have hit a bump in the road, but God will take care of you. Remember, it’s not how you start; it’s how you finish.”

Now, when I look back at that time, I am grateful for the godly influences in my life.

My pastor was another influence, as he asked, “What is the Lord telling you to do?” I told him I wanted to know the Bible. He encouraged me to attend Christian colleges and then planted a seed for the future by inviting the president of CSU to our church one Sunday.

It was truly a blessing to be moving in the right direction. My grades were back on track, and I accomplished a goal I never would have reached without the help of godly influences.

Today, I am grateful to be able to be a godly influence, not only to the teenagers at my church but to millions of people around the world. I pray for people dealing with health issues who need encouragement. I lead the congregation singing worship. I preach a sermon on a Youth Sunday at my church. In those ways, it is really good to know that I am influencing other believers to reach for the goals God has in store for them.

I remember sending an encouraging email to a woman who enjoyed watching Dr. Charles Stanley. I would have never known the email would come to her at just the right time. She was heading to her doctor for a follow up visit after being cancer free for over six months. In my email, I simply reminded her that God was with her, and she was being prayed for. What a joy it was for me to know that the email would have a godly influence on her. God is truly good.

My favorite verse during my time in ministry has been 1 Timothy 4:12, “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” Paul knew what he was saying to Timothy when he wrote this. He knew that the only way that the people of his church would see Jesus would be through godly influence. The world needed people like Paul and Timothy. It still does today. And I am so glad to be in the number with them—all because God used someone to be a godly influence in my own life.

-Ulysses Tobias “Toby” Monday
Monday graduated in 2015 with a Bachelor of Science in Bible. He is now the southeast ministry representative for In Touch Ministries and worship leader/minister at Atlanta Bible Baptist Church. He resides in Decatur, Georgia with his wife Tonya and two children. He loves singing, playing saxophone, watching movies and bowling.

SearchCategories
Archives Related Posts
Left Menu Icon