Home » October Internship Report – Aaron and Lauren Hixson

October Internship Report – Aaron and Lauren Hixson

Published September 27, 2016

Northridge Church, Rochester, New York

Aaron

Ministry Highlights

We had our Fall Kick-Off this month, and jumped back into the rhythm of weekly programming. We’ve experienced all-time high numbers in attendance – what a blessing! However, more importantly, we’ve also seen significant relationships developing between students and SGLs (Small Group Leaders) which is the most encouraging thing of all.

During one of our nights of Youth Group we had a push to invite students to place their faith in Jesus – a number of students took that step! It was incredible to see God change hearts before our eyes.

I have a new part-time employee who has been absolutely amazing at his role. I’m so impressed with his diligence and dedication, along with gifts and humility. I feel inadequate to be his supervisor, but I am also excited in the ways that leading him will push me to be better.

Our Fall Retreat was October 7-9 and we have 100 students heading to the Adirondacks. We will continue to pray that God will continue to work in hearts to make more and better disciples.

Key Prayer Requests

Our Pregnancy – My wife is now 22 weeks along and things are going well! However, many changes are on the horizon as we prepare for being parents (not the least of which is Lauren leaving her job, changing our financial picture).

Parent Night – We are convinced that we must partner with parents to raise Godly teenagers. We have an “open house” style event coming up where we invite parents to attend program with their students and then have a time of vision-casting from our key leaders. We’re praying for a great turnout!

Lead Pastor Transition – We have a new lead pastor at Northridge, and he is still beginning his transition into the role. I’m praying that God will acclimate him quickly and that our church will have unity in accepting him as God’s man for our church.

Prominent Lessons

This week, my wife and I got to have dinner with a family in the church. It became a significant lesson because my preconceived notions of this family were not positive – they seemed aloof at times, certainly a little strange, and “high maintenance” when it came to having their kids in our ministry. However, as we got to spend time with them, it became a really enjoyable evening! They were easy to talk to, much more open to “progressive” ideas about schooling and ministry than I had anticipated, and I was challenged to remember that my perceptions are not always accurate. I need to break the habit of negative perceptions – instead, I should wait until I know someone personally before making a judgment about their motives or desires.

One of the first things I had this month was our youth ministry kick-off. However, it was also the week of my brother-in-law’s wedding, so I was planning to leave for the wedding after Youth Group on Wednesday night. This resulted in me not being in the office the day after one of the most significant nights of the year strategically. At first, my response to this was annoyance and frustration – I had lots I wanted to get done. However, after taking a step back, I was able to re-center on the fact that what would be MOST important for my family and the rest of my life would be fully engaging in the wedding in order to demonstrate love to those closest to me. I learned (once again) that it is always important to prioritize family, and not simply to see the tasks at hand as “most important.” While I don’t want to be a slacker at my job, I am the only person in the world who can be the husband to my wife and the father to my son (soon to be). That will always be my most important role, and every other role is secondary.

At our all-staff leadership lunch, we instituted a policy that all full-time employees will be going over a series of accountability questions with their direct supervisor (gender appropriate). These questions are very specific, and targeted at the kinds of things which most often derail ministry leaders. This change comes at time when I’m thinking heavily about my legacy due to my son coming soon. I am grateful that my employer is going to be asking hard questions about my spiritual life so that I have ANOTHER guardrail in place preventing me from destroying the life and ministry God has given me!

I was struck with the significance of the calling to a life of ministry. It truly is a calling to a life that is above reproach, and thus is makes sense that there should be extra scrutiny within ministry occupations for greater checks and balances. I’m looking forward to this new system.

This Saturday we had our annual SGL (Small Group Leader) retreat. It is designed to be as “easy as possible” for our leaders to attend, and we want it to be fun, relaxed and intentional in being a place where relationships are forged through shared experiences. However, a small percentage of our SGLs were able to attend. This was, admittedly, a frustration to me. The day was fun we had spent time planning for this to be a place where some of the relational gaps between leaders would be overcome. However, that is obviously not possible when leaders are not present. The lesson was formed as I worked through this emotionally – I had a plan that had been thwarted, and my attitude was not initially positive. However, God worked in my heart to come to place where I understood the people who came were the people that God wanted there – thus, I was able to relax and have a good day. The SGLs who were present gave very positive feedback about the retreat, and I know that we will reap the benefits for the leaders who were able to go!

Key Goals for the Next Month

Continue Reading for Development – Now that I’m into my projects, it’s easier to read as part of the research phase of my projects. However, I want to keep pushing in that area – I’ve found it is a GREAT way to ensure I’m leading from the overflow, rather than an empty tank.

Complete PT701 – I will be completing a project in the next few weeks, and I want to finish strong on it! There is still a lot to do in order to make it a successful project.

Message Prep – I’d like to get another week ahead in my preparation, and then stay there. Presently I’m one week ahead, and I would like to get to the place where I am two weeks ahead.

Student Leadership – I need to get my student leadership program underway ASAP. That should happen in the next month.

Lauren

Ministry Highlights

At the beginning of the month, we had our Fall Kick-off for our youth ministry. We had one of the highest attendance that week and an incredible number of new kids show up!

We have a program for “Student Leaders” and each fall the previous student leaders re-apply and new students apply for their first time. It is always encouraging when students decide they want to take their next steps and be a leader among their peers. This year, we have a great group of teens signed up, and I’m looking forward to teaching them what being a leader means!

Key Prayer Requests

Aaron and I have officially decided that I will not be going back to work after the baby comes. I am also struggling with my job at this point, so please pray that I have the stamina to make it until Christmas (when I will be done) and that I will be able to find different ways to fill my time as I do not do super well being alone.

We are involved in a marital counseling situation of some friends of ours that consistently has been a roller coaster. Please pray that God continues to work in their hearts to turn them toward each other and that they would learn how to love each other and communicate better.

Prominent Lessons

In the above mentioned counseling situation, I have been extremely discouraged by the ups and downs we are experiencing with this couple. There have been really high moments that make me feel like counseling is where my heart is, and there have been really defeating moments that make me feel like quitting. In both the highs and lows, God has continually reminded me, that whether this marriage fails or succeeds it’s not my fault – it has nothing to do with me. It is only through the grace and power of the Lord that this marriage will succeed and I must trust that it is not my own power that will bring restoration, but only by the Lord.

Key Goals for the Next Month

We are bringing over 100 students on a retreat this month! My goal is to have at least three significant conversations that help me get to know the kids better and point them to Christ.

I am meeting with the wife of the above mentioned counseling situation one-on-one throughout the week, but sometimes it has been inconsistent. My goal is to meet with her every single week this month.

SearchCategories
Archives Related Posts
Left Menu Icon